Traditional British Recipes
Although called a pudding by the locals, Bakewell pudding is basically a jam tart covered with an egg custard mixture. Legend tells that the recipe originated from a mix-up of the ingredients by a cook at Bakewell's Rutland Arms Hotel.
Ingredients for Bakewell Pudding
- 175 grams (6 oz) puff pastry
- 3 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 110 grams (4 oz) melted butter
- 175 grams (6 oz) caster sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- Almond essence
How to Make Bakewell Pudding
- Line a 20 cm (8 inch) flan ring or baking tin with puff pastry.
- Spread the jam over the pastry base.
- Cream together the butter and sugar, then mix in the egg yolks and whites.
- Add almond essence to the mixture to taste.
- Pour the mixture over the jam.
- Bake in a hot oven at 220°C (425°F / gas mark 7) for 15 minutes, then turn down to 180°C (350°F / gas mark 4) and bake for a further 20-25 minutes.
Leave to cool on a wire rack and serve as a snack with tea or coffee.