Traditional British Recipes
This recipe will make two medium size puddings.
- 125 grams (4 oz) flour
- 60 grams (2 oz) breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 125 grams (4 oz) shredded suet
- 125 grams (4 oz) brown sugar
- 125 grams (4 oz) grated apple
- 1 small grated carrot
- 2 eggs (medium)
- 575 grams (1.25 lb) mixed dried fruit
- 75 grams (3 oz) chopped prunes
- 125 grams (4 oz) chopped almonds
- 1/2 grated lemon rind
- 1/2 juice lemon
- 1/2 grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon black treacle
- 1/2 cup milk to mix
How to Make Christmas Pudding
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Stir in all other ingredients, mix well and allow to stand, overnight if possible.
- Put mixture into two medium pudding bowls.
- Cover the bowls with grease-proof paper and foil or a pudding cloth.
- Steam for 6-8 hours.
- Remove damp coverings and replace with new ones.
- Store until required and steam for a further 2 hours on Christmas Day.
Serve with custard or brandy butter and cream.