British Cake Recipes
Lemon Drizzle Cake
Ingredients and Utensils
- 115 grams (4 oz) butter or cooking margarine
- 140 grams (5 oz) self-raising flour
- 115 grams (4 oz) caster sugar
- 2 eggs (medium)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- grated rind of half lemon
- juice of half lemon
- 115 grams (4 oz) icing sugar
- 1 kg (2 lb) cake or loaf tin
- grease proof lining paper
- large mixing bowl and wooden spoon (or mixer)
- small mixing bowl and metal spoon (for icing)
How to Make Lemon Drizzle Cake
- Preheat oven to 170 °C / 325 °F / Gas Mark 3
- Place all ingredients (except for lemon juice and icing sugar) in mixing bowl and mix well until smooth.
- Grease and line cake or loaf tin and pour in mixed contents.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Leave to cool and turn out onto a wire rack.
- Make the drizzle by gradually add lemon juice to the icing sugar until a smooth runny consistency is reached.
- Pour the icing over the cake using a spoon, in a zig-zag motion and leave to set.
Cut into 2 cm slices and serve with a cup of tea, coffee or cool lemonade.