Traditional British Recipes
Norwich Apple Chutney
Ingredients for Norwich Apple Chutney
- 1.5 kg (2 1/2 lb) apples
- 500 grams (1/2 lb) onions
- 500 grams (1/2 lb) light soft brown sugar
- 500 grams (1/2 lb) sultanas
- (375 ml) 3/4 pint vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pickling spice
- 1/2 tablespoon dry mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 2 pieces root ginger
You will also need enough clean sterile jam jars, ideally with plastic lined, screw type, metal lids.
How to Make Norwich Apple Chutney
- Peel the apples and onions and mince or chop them finely.
- Simmer the apples and onions with half the quantity of vinegar until tender.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Simmer very gently for a further twenty minutes until thick.
- Whilst the mixture is simmering, warm the jars ready.
- Leave the mixture to cool just a little and remove the ginger.
- While still warm pour the chutney into the warmed jars and screw on the metal lids.
- If jars without lids are used, a cover must used to stop the contents drying out - such as a layer of thick waxed paper tied firmly in place.
Use as a condiment with Norfolk sausages, cheese, meat pies, ham or a salad.