Traditional British Recipes
This is an easy to make Wiltshire recipe for home made battered sausages, traditionally made using pork sausage meat. Ideal if you like to grind your own sausage meat but don't have the equipment to pipe it into skins.
Ingredients for Wiltshire Porkies
- 225 grams (1/2 lb) flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoonful salad oil
- 450 grams (1 lb) sausage meat
How to Make Wiltshire Porkies
- Mix flour and salt in a basin, add the yolk of 1 egg and 1 tablespoon of salad oil.
- Mix in enough water to form a smooth batter that will just coat the back of a spoon.
- Beat well and let it stand for 1/2 hour.
- Douse hands and board with flour to prevent sticking, form the sausage meat into small, neat sausage shaped rolls.
- Whisk the white of the egg stiffly and stir it into the batter.
- Coat each roll with batter and deep fry until golden brown.
Serve on a hot dish with battered apple rings. Garnish with parsley.