A warming beef stew, with a spicy gunpowder kick, that
is sure to warm and fortify the whole family on a cold
November's evening (serves four).
This is recipe is also ideal for simmering in a slow cooker, which will make the meat much more tender. You will need adjust the cooking times in accordance with your slow cooker's instructions.
- 1.5 lb (675 grams) stewing beef
- 2 large carrots
- 1 large onion
- 1/2 oz (15 grams) butter for frying
(or use cooking oil if preferred)
- 1 beef stock cube
- 1/2 pint (250 ml) water
- 1/2 oz (15 grams) corn flour
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
How to Make Guy Fawkes Stew
- Slice beef into small cubes.
- Peel and chop the onion. Peel and slice the carrots.
- Melt the butter in a large pan and fry off the onions for five minutes. Then add the beef cubes and fry until brown on all sides.
- Crumble the stock cube into 1/2 pint (250 ml) cold water. Stir in the corn flour, curry powder and chili powder. Pour over the meat, stir well, and bring to the boil.
- Cover and simmer in the pan for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Taste and add more seasoning and/or chili powder as required.
Serve hot with baked potatoes or mashed potatoes.
Other recipes to try: Lancashire Hot Pot | Somerset Casserole | Lamb Stew | Recipe Index