An easy to bake loaf style cake, that is dense and
sharply flavoursome. The perfect treat for afternoon tea.
No one knows the origins of this recipe but lemon
has been used as a common flavouring in English and
European cakes for hundreds of years.
Ingredients and Utensils
- 115 grams (4 oz) butter or cooking margarine
- 140 grams (5 oz) self-raising flour
- 115 grams (4 oz) caster sugar
- 2 eggs (medium)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- grated rind of half lemon
- juice of half lemon
- 115 grams (4 oz) icing sugar
- 1 kg (2 lb) loaf tin
- grease proof lining paper
- large mixing bowl and wooden spoon (or mixer)
- small mixing bowl and metal spoon (for icing)
How to Make Lemon Drizzle Cake
- Preheat oven to 170 °C / 325 °F / Gas Mark 3
- Place all ingredients (except for lemon juice and icing sugar) in mixing bowl and mix well until smooth.
- Grease and line the loaf tin and pour in mixed
- Bake for 45 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Leave to cool and turn out onto a wire rack.
- Make the drizzle by gradually add lemon juice to the icing sugar until a smooth runny consistency is reached.
- Pour the icing over the cake using a spoon, in
a zigzag motion and leave to set.
Cut into 2 cm slices and serve with a cup of tea, coffee or cool lemonade.
Other recipes to try: Victoria Sponge | Hevva Cake | Recipe Index