A traditional west-country slow cooked casserole using the finest local ingredients.
Ingredients for Wiltshire Market Day Dinner
- 6 pork chops
- 2 pigs' kidneys (sliced)
- 500 grams (l lb) onions
- 1 apple
- 500 grams (l lb) potatoes
- 1 teaspoon sage
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to Cook Wiltshire Market Day Dinner
- Place the pork chops in a large casserole dish.
- Cover with the sliced kidneys and choped onions.
- Peel, core and slice the apple and spread it on top.
- Sprinkle over with sage and season with salt and pepper.
- Peel and slice the potatoes and place on top to cover the contents.
- Pour over a quarter of a pint (260 ml) of water .
- Cover and cook at 325°F (170°C / gas mark 3) for three hours.
Serve hot with seasonal vegetables.
Other recipes to try: Lamb
Stew | Guy
Fawkes Stew | Recipe Index